Christmas Tree Trivia
Submitted by Dory,
- Christmas trees have been sold
commercially in the United States since about 1850.
- In 1979, the National Christmas Tree was not
lighted except for the top ornament. This was done in honor of the
American hostages in Iran.
- Between 1887-1933 a fishing schooner called
the Christmas Ship would tie up at the Clark Street bridge and sell
spruce trees from Michigan to Chicagoans.
- The tallest living Christmas tree is believed
to be the 122-foot, 91-year-old Douglas fir in the town of
- The Rockefeller Center Christmas tree
tradition began in 1933. Franklin Pierce, the 14th president, brought
the Christmas tree tradition to the White House.
- In 1923, President Calvin Coolidge started
the National Christmas Tree Lighting Ceremony now held every year on
the White House lawn.
- Since 1966, the National Christmas Tree
Association has given a Christmas tree to the President and first
- Most Christmas trees are cut weeks before
they get to a retail outlet.
- In 1912, the first community Christmas tree
in the United States was erected in New York City.
- Christmas trees generally take 6-8 years to
- Christmas trees are grown in all 50 states
including Hawaii and Alaska.
- 100,000 people are employed in the Christmas
- 98 percent of all Christmas trees are grown
- More than 1,000,000 acres of land have been
planted with Christmas trees.
- 77 million Christmas trees are planted each
- On average, over 2,000 Christmas trees are
planted per acre.
- You should never burn your Christmas tree in
the fireplace. It can contribute to creosote buildup.
- Other types of trees such as cherry and
hawthorns were used as Christmas trees in the past.
- Thomas Edison's assistants came up with the
idea of electric lights for Christmas trees.
- In 1963, the National Christmas Tree was not
lit until December 22nd because of a national 30-day period of
mourning following the assassination of President Kennedy.
- Teddy Roosevelt banned the Christmas tree
from the White House for environmental reasons.
- In the first week, a tree in your home will
consume as much as a quart of water per day. Trees Archive Photos
- Tinsel was once banned by the government.
Tinsel contained lead at one time, now it's made of plastic.
- In 1984, the National Christmas Tree was lit
on December 13th with temperatures in the 70s, making it one of the
warmest tree lightings in history.
- 34 to 36 million Christmas trees are produced
each year and 95 percent are shipped or sold directly from Christmas
- California, Oregon, Michigan, Washington,
Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, and North Carolina are the top Christmas tree
- The best selling trees are Scotch Pine,
Douglas Fir, Fraser Fir, Balsam Fir, and White Pine.
Return to: Top
of Page, Christmas Joke List,
Metaphors - high school varieties
- Her face was a perfect oval, like a circle
that had its two sides compressed by a Thigh Master.
- He spoke with the wisdom that can only come
from experience, like a guy who went blind because he looked at a
solar eclipse without one of those boxes with a pinhole in it and now
he goes around the country speaking at high schools about the danger
of looking at a solar eclipse without one of those boxes with a
pinhole in it.
- She grew on him like she was a colony of E.
Coli and he was room-temperature prime English beef.
- She had a deep, throaty, genuine laugh, like
the sound a dog makes just before it throws up.
- Her vocabulary was as bad as, like, whatever.
- He was as tall as a six-foot-three-inch tree.
- The revelation that his marriage had
disintegrated because of his wife's infidelity came as a rude shock,
like a surcharge at a formerly surcharge-free ATM.
- The little boat gently drifted across the
pond exactly the way a bowling ball wouldn't.
- From the attic came an unearthly howl. The
whole scene had an eerie, surreal quality, like when you're holiday
and "Sex in the City" comes on at 7.00 pm instead of 7.30.
- Her hair glistened in the rain like a nose
hair after a sneeze.
- The hailstones leapt from pavement, just like
maggots when you fry them in hot oil.
- John and Mary had never met. They were like
two hummingbirds who had also never met.
- Even in his last years Grandad had a mind
like a steel trap, only one that had been left out so long, it had
- The plan was simple, like my brother-in-law
Phil. But unlike Phil, this plan might work.
- The young fighter had a hungry look, the kind
you get from not eating for a while.
- "Oh, Jason, take me!", she panted, her
breasts heaving like a uni student on a $1-a-beer night.
- He was a lame as a duck. Not the metaphorical
duck, either, but a real duck that was actually lame. Maybe from
stepping on a mine or something.
- The ballerina rose gracefully en Pointe and
extended one slender leg behind her, like a dog at a fire hydrant.
- He was deeply in love. When she spoke, he
thought he heard bells, as if she were a garbage truck backing up.
- She was as easy as the TV Guide crossword.
- She walked into my office like a centipede
with 98 legs missing.
- It hurt the way your tongue hurts after you
accidentally staple it to the wall.
Submitted by Lindsey, Melbourne, Australia
Return to: Top
of Page, List
of Humorous Sayings, My Little
Reflections on man's best friend
Submitted by Audrey, Emmitsburg,
- I wonder if other dogs think
poodles are members of a weird religious cult. - Rita Rudner
- A dog teaches a boy fidelity, perseverance,
and to turn around three times before lying down. -Robert Benchley
- Anybody who doesn't know what soap tastes
like never washed a dog. -Franklin P. Jones
- If I have any beliefs about immortality, it
is that certain dogs I have known will go to heaven, and very, very
few persons. - James Thurber
- If your dog is fat, you aren't getting enough
exercise - Unknown
- Ever consider what our dogs must think of us?
I mean, here we come from a grocery with the most amazing haul,
chicken, pork, half a cow. They must think we're the greatest hunters
on earth! - Anne Tyler
- Women and cats will do as they please, and
men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea. -Robert A.
- If you pick up a starving dog and make him
prosperous, he will not bite you; that is the principal difference
between a dog and a man. - Mark Twain
- You can say any foolish thing to a dog, and
the dog will give you a look that says, 'Wow, you're right! I never
would've thought of that!' - Dave Barry
- Dogs are not our whole life, but they make
our lives whole. - Roger Caras
- If you think dogs can't count, try putting
three dog biscuits in your pocket and then give him only two of them.
- Phil Pastoret
Return to: Top
of Page, List of
Jokes about Animals, My Little
It was snowing heavily and blowing to the point that visibility was
when a blond got off from work. She made her way to her car and wondered
how she was going to make it home. She sat in her car while it warmed up
and thought about her situation.
She remembered Ole's advice that if she got
caught in a blizzard, she should wait for a snow plow to come by and
follow it. That way she would not get stuck in a snow drift. This made
Lena feel much better and sure enough in a little while, a snow plow
went by, and she started to follow it.
As she followed the snow plow, she was feeling
very smug as they continued, and she was not having any problem with the
blizzard conditions. After quite sometime had passed, she was somewhat
surprised when the snow plow stopped and the driver got out and came
back to her car and signaled her to roll down her window.
The snow plow driver wanted to know if she was
all right, as she had been following him for a long time. She said that
she was fine and told him of Ole's advice to follow a snow plow when
caught in a blizzard. The driver replied that it was OK with him, and
she could continue if she wanted...but he was done with the Wal-Mart
parking lot and was going over to Kmart next.
Submitted by Eleanor, San Francisco, Calif.
Return to: Top
of Page, Blonde Joke List,
Why People Move South - Take 1
Submitted by Bill,
Return to: Top
of Page, List of Photos,
My Little Sister's Jokes,
Dec 15 Humor Page