Home | Mission & Goals | Meeting Schedule | Search | Contact Us | Submit A Story | Links

1797 resurvey map of Carrollsburg et. al
to resolve boundaries

In 1797 a resurvey of Carrollsburg was ordered to correct the boundaries of the Carrollsburg tract. Originally surveyed in 1733 for Charles Carroll with a error of +/- 3 degrees, the difference between the actual boundaries and the perceived boundaries grew the further the surveyors got form the original starting point.

The 3 degree +/- error tolerance was not a concern in 1733 as none of the land surrounding Carrollsburg had been deeded.  However, following the funding of Emmitsubrg in 1785, and the resultant increase in population in the area, the need to firmly establish the real boundaries became a necessity.

Following the survey, the surveyors produced a map indicating what Samuel Emmit thought he owned, what the surveyors determined he actually owned, and the final agreed to boundaries.

Of particular interest is the fact that the Silver Fancy tract overlaps the tract boundaries of Carrollsburg. As the Dulany family was not a party to this agreement, this did not resolve the confusion over the sale of lots that was on land also claimed by the Dulanys.

Silver Fancy, to the immediate north of the land deeded to William by his father Samuel, was the name given to 100 acres granted in 1742 to Daniel Delaney, the founder of Frederick.

In 1763, Delaney sold Silver Fancy to Daniel Yhieth, who in 1797--12 years after the founding of Emmitsburg--sold it to William Emmit. None of these deeds made reference to any pre-existing structures or homes and the price paid is comparable to prices paid by others at the time for surrounding undeveloped land of comparable size.

Upon assuming title to the land, Emmit proceeded to divide Silver Fancy into lots for re-sale. In the tradition of the time, each deed for these new lots referred to the current name for the land as well as its prior name, such as "lying in the town of Emmitsburg, formally know as Silver Fancy." In an effort to stem the confusion that resulted from this declaration, in 1808, the courts directed that any lot sold in what once was Silver Fancy drop the reference to Emmitsburg and simply have it noted that the lot was from Silver Fancy.  Which resulted in even more confusion and would play a critical role in the confusion surrounding the history of Emmitsburg's founding.

Read the Real History of Emmitsburg's Founding

Other Maps