the Incarnation - United Church of Christ
Established in 1768 as a German Reformed Congregation. Shared the church at Tom's Creek
with the Lutherans until 1797 when the united church relocated to Emmitsburg. In the 1860's the two
congregations separated. A brick church was built on the present site for the Reformed Church. In 1950 the
building was destroyed by fire and later rebuilt within the same walls. A Fellowship Hall was added in 1968.
Visit the Incarnation - United Church of Christ's Web Site
Elias Lutheran Church
Founded in 1757 near Tom's Creek Methodist Church. It shared its worship with the
Reformed congregation. In 1797, a new church was constructed at its present site. The church served both
congregations until 1869 when the Reformed congregation moved to the current site of the Incarnation Church of
Christ. Visit the Elias Lutheran Church Web Site.
The church was established in 1760 as the Tom's Creek
Presbyterian Church about one mile north of Emmitsburg along the Gettysburg Road. Relocated in 1830 to its
present site and renamed in 1867 to the Emmitsburg Presbyterian Church. Replaced by a brick Gothic structure in
1879, it was struck by lightning in 1902 and partially destroyed. The present building was completed in 1904.
the web site of the Emmitsburg
United Presbyterian Church.
Chapel of the Immaculate Conception, Mount Saint Mary's College
"...Dedicated to Mary under the title of 'The Immaculate Conception', the Romanesque chapel (designed by Ephraim
Baldqin C' 1858) was solemnly opened October 12, 1910. Its foundation walls are eight feet thick. The interior
decoration remained substantially unchanged until 1978 when renovations were carried out to bring the chapel
into conformity with the norms of the Second Vatican Council. The chapel was reopened October 22, 1978."
St. Anthony Shrine Parish
The congregation was established in 1805. The church was constructed in 1897 using
native stone from the surrounding areas. The church seats 350 with a parish that serves 350 registered families. Visit the
St. Anthony Shrine Parish web site
St. Joseph's Catholic Church
Founded in 1793, the parish was first served by Jesuit priests who traveled there on
horse back from Conewago. In 1852, Vincentian Fathers took charge of the parish, then a small chapel on the
square, and continue to serve it and its 600 families today. It should be noted that St. Elizabeth Ann Seton was
a former parishioner. In 1992, the new St. Joseph's Parish Hall was dedicated by William Cardinal Keeler of the
Archdiocese of Baltimore.
The Basilica of the National Shrine of Saint Elizabeth Ann Seton
Formally dedicated May 1, 1965, the Seton Shrine Chapel was constructed in anticipation of
the canonization of St. Elizabeth Ann Seton and rests the treasured relics of the Saint. The shrine symbolizes
the extension of the work begun in 1809 by Mother Seton and her Sisters of Charity of St. Joseph's. In 1991, it
was designated a minor basilica by Pope John Paul II.
Tom's Creek United Methodist
In 1757, German settlers with Lutheran and Reformed Church
backgrounds constructed a log church outside Emmitsburg. In 1797, a group of Methodists led by Robert
Strawbridge acquired the church which served the community until 1904 when it was replaced by the current
structure. In 1986, the church established a full time ministry, and was redesignated a station church. To plan
for future expansion, they acquired an additional 43 acres. www.tomscreekUMC.org
Trinity United Methodist Church
The Methodists worshiped in a house-chapel owned by William Moreland and then built a
church in 1833.That structure was located in an area behind the current church which was completed in 1897. An
educational building was added in 1957. www.trinityumcemmitsburg.com