Howard and Jane Cline of Fountaindale)
Situated in the Northwestern corner of Frederick County is
Harbaugh Valley. It is bounded on the East by Catoctin Mountain
and on the West by mountain. It is really a continuation of
Middletown Valley, being the Northern end of that valley. A small
part of it extends into Pennsylvania, and is bound on the North by
It in not known exactly when it was first settled. But a family
by the name of Greybill lived in the valley in 1750. Two of the
children are buried under the railroad near Samuel Royer's barn.
Probably the next settler was a Mr. Smith, who came from York,
Pennsylvania, about 1756 and settled in the neighborhood of
Deerfield. His eldest son, Daniel, was born in a sheep pen while
his mother was fleeing from the Indians. She was so long away they
could only recognize her by a wart on the end of her tongue. After
she had been recovered, she was of such a raving disposition that
they could not keep her at home. The son, Daniel, built the stone
house on the Birely farm near Deerfield. He served in the
Revolutionary War from 1777 to the close. He was a private in
1777, in the Frederick County Militia. He became a Lieutenant in
Captain Simpkin's Catoctin Battalion, May 1778 and a Captain in
Col. Baber Johnson's Battalion, May 29, 1779. He refused a pension
from the United States Government when he was an old man.
At this time good titles for land could not be obtained on
account of the dispute between William Penn and Lord Baltimore as
to the boundary of the two states. This controversy was to our
forefathers equal to a state of actual war on a smaller scale, on
occasions the sheriffs of the different ones who had titles from
William Penn and Lord Baltimore for the same tract of land. In
1760 this dispute was brought to an end by articles of agreement
between them. Lord Baltimore giving to William Penn a long tract
of land, which had been granted to him by the King in order to
make peace. Good titles for the land could now be granted, and
this encouraged the making of settlements. About this time
permanent settlement began to be made rapidly in the valley.
At this time there were no roads in the valley. The only way to
get through the valley was by an old Indian Trail which the
Indians used in traveling from West to East, or East to West. This
trail can still be seen in several places in the forest. It can be
seen most plainly where the road from Pen Mar to High Rock crosses
it. The railroad company has marked it here with a sign board.
The settler's coming into the valley had to unload their goods
East of the valley, and either carry them, or bring them in on the
backs of horses. The mile stones on Mason and Dixon's line were
brought in this manner.
To give some idea what an unsettled wilderness lay in this
region at this time, we need only to call to mind that Frederick
was only laid out in 1745 and Chambersburg in 1755 was only "a
little village on the outskirts of civilization". The Rev. Michael
Schlathler, who passed from Frederick to Conococheague Valley,
says this region was nothing but a forest. He also says, "Indians
are still here, but however they are friendly when they are not
drunk". All kinds of game were plenty and it was common for the
early settlers to have bear's meat on the table. Neither were they
safe from danger on account of wild beasts. They frequently
ventured up to their house even in the open day.
Probably the first settlers who came after the Mason and
Dixon's Line was settled were the three Harbaugh brothers. They
were Swiss and had settled in York County, Pa. and moved here in
1760 or 1761. They were George who settled on a farm now owned by
Samuel D. Harbaugh. Ludwig, who settled on what is now known as
the Warner farm and Jacob settled on the farm now owned by Samuel,
Royer. This Jacob Harbaugh was the great grandfather of Mrs.
Palmer. County Superintendent Palmer's wife. Jacob Harbaugh built
the house that Mr. Royor lived in between 1776 and 1770. The house
was remodeled by his grandson, Leonard, several years ago, but the
original heavy timbers placed there when it was first built are
still in the building. The barn that Roscoe P. Brown tore down a
few years ago was built by Ludwig's son, Christian, in 1799. Mr.
Brown used a great many of the original timbers in rebuilding the
About this time an Irishman, Patrick Mooney, settled near Blue
Ridge Summit and started a store and tavern. The nearest store at
that time being either at Frederick or Chambersburg, there being
none at Waynesboro or any nearer.
After this the Willards, the Millers, the McClains, the Birelys,
the Browns and the Shovers whose descendants are still living in
the valley, came in. There were a number of other people who came
in but removed, and there names were forgotten. About this time
the Eylers settled in the neighborhood of Cascade.
The people lived plainly in those days. In summer they
generally ate soup in the morning; no meat. At dinner they had
meat. In the evening they had soup and potatoes, no meat. They had
also in season for breakfast, apples and peaches, and as drink
buttermilk. The constant dish in the winter morning and evening
was mush and Milk.
In the evening they had hot mush and cold milk, in the morning
they had cold mush and hot milk. They took their meals from a long
plain table. No table cloth was used. Their large dishes and
bowls, as well as their platters, were pewter. Their furniture was
as simple as their fare. The chairs were homemade, the seats
plated with board, smooth shavings of white oak, or hickory. The
wall was lined with plain benches. They had no carpets, but the
floor was given every Saturday, a white and clean appearance under
the operation of water and broom.
There were no churches in the valley at this early date. The
most of them were Reformed and attended Apple's Church near
Thurmont. The remainder was Moravians and attended the Moravian
Church at Graceham. Services were held at these churches only
every four or eight weeks, but all who were large enough had to
go. The members of the Reformed Church in the valley went together
and bought several acres of land from Peter Kellenberger, on
August 19, 1824 in the northern end of the valley and erected a
stone church which is still used for church worship and is known
as St. Jacobs.
Several years afterwards the United Brethern built Otterbein
Chapel. In I855 the members of the Reformed Church in
Sabillasville built St. John's Reformed Church, buying 2 town lots
from John Coon. In 1812 the United Brethern Church in
Sabillasville was built at the southern end of the village. About
the same time, the Church of God built Bethel Church about 2 miles
west of Sabillasville. Several years later the United Brethren
Church at Deerfield was built. In 1893 the Lutherans built their
church at the western end of Sabillasville.
The early settlers, knowing the value of education, and there
being no public schools as we have now, "1813 gathered together at
the Magistratesís office and signed an article of an agreement;
each agreeing to give a certain sum towards building a school
house for the education of the children." The site selected for
the school house was the same site selected 10 years later for the
first church in the valley, St. Jacobs. There has been a school
house on that site every since. After Sabillasville was laid out,
a log school house was built at the western end of the village.
School was maintained there for some time. The building being also
used for public meetings and church services. Some of Marylandís
greatest men made addresses in that old building. After the stone
schoolhouse was built, on the farm now owned by Mr. Wagaman, this
log house was used as a residence, and the post office was kept
there at 2 different times. The stone schoolhouse was used for
school purposes until 1871 when the present brick building was
built at the eastern side of Sabillasville. It was made into a 2
room building in 1885. About the middle of the 19th
century a long building was built at Deerfield and was used as a
schoolhouse, for religious worship, and for other public purposes
among which was holding the elections of Hauvers District. About
1890 the present two room building was built on the same ground at
Deerfield. The school house was built in 1888.
The village of Sabillasville was laid out November 4, 1813 by a
surveyor named Andrew Smith for Peter Zullinger, who had bought
part for the Ludwig Harbaugh Farm at his death. The village was
named after Mr. Zullingerís wife whose name was Savilla. It was at
first often called Zullingerís Town. The town was laid out along
"The Great Road to Waynesboro". The street was made 60 feet wide
and the lots each contained one third of an acre of land. There
were several houses built in the village before it was laid out.
They were probably used for the families who worked on the
Harbaugh-Zullinger farm. The first houses built in the village
were two story houses, about 10 feet square. They were lined
inside and out with boards and filled between with sawdust. The
houses built afterwards were larger and made of logs. They all had
large fireplaces with large chimneys on the outside of the house,
built of stone. The houses were heated by fire in the fireplace
and all cooking was done in dutch ovens covered up in the coals
and ashes in the fireplace.
The persons who bought lots were compelled to pay one dollar
per year ground rent.
The railroad was built through the valley in 1872. The Maryland
State Tuberculosis Sanatorium was built in 1906. The Red Menís
Hall in 1913.
The principal industries in the valley were agriculture,
lumbering and tanning leather. Before the railroad was built to
Frederick nearly every farm had a still house. The product of
their farm being converted into whiskey and brandy, which was
hauled to Baltimore in wagons. There were two tanneries in the
valley, getting the tannic acid for tanning the leather from the
bark of the rock oak tree.
The timber of the trees was made into barrel staves. Two
flouring mills were built at the beginning of the 19th
century, one in the northern end of the valley which is not now
used for any purpose. It was built by the Harbaughís but has been
called Martinís mill for a long time. This is the large stone
house on Route 16 at the entrance to Harbaugh Valley Road. It is
sometimes referred to as Fountaindale Mills, and was built by Yost
Harbaugh (1778-1817), who was the sone of Jacob Harbaugh. The
other was built near Deerfield, and was called at first Schultzís
mill and afterwards Kinnar mill. Both these mills ground flour
with burs and after the roller process of grinding four. The
Kinnar mill is still used as a chopping mill.
There were a number of saw mills along both Friends Creek and
Owens Creek, but they have all been torn down. The steam mill that
can be used anyplace in the forest taking their place. Wagon
making was carried on in Sabillasville. There was also a number of
shoemakers in the valley. The boot and shoes were made to fit the
foot by the shoemaker taking a measurement of the foot. Since
boots and shoes are made by machinery these shops have all been