As the area continued to grow,
Moreland felt the need for a church. On December 24, 1784, in
Lovely Lane Meeting House in-Baltimore, the Christmas
Conference consisting of 82 men, met and the Methodist
Episcopal Church was formed.
According to the, Land Records of
Frederick County, on April 1, 1805, William Mordland and
Joseph Harvey bought Lot #53 for $24 from William Shields on
which to build a church, but this was not accomplished. The
Land Records also state:
"March 26, 1331 - From Jacob Winter
to William Moreland, Joseph Crabbs, Richard Gilson, Colin
Austin and Robert Crooks, Trustees of the Methodist Epis-
copal Church for the United States, at Emmitsburg, Lots #51
and #52 in Shields Addition for $120.11" (Real estate values
had already begun to rise.)
These lots were in back of our present
site and faced what is now Lincoln Avenue. On this lot, in the
summer of 1833, was built a brick church known as the
Methodist Episcopal Church of Emmitsburg. History has it that
Mr. More an personally defrayed the entire expense of the
construction. Mr. Moreland never lived to realize his dream.
One Sunday morning the following
autumn, while in his gig on his way to fill an appointment at
Tom's Creek, Reverend Moreland passed to his eternal reward.
His horse was found standing by a fence. He was buried at the
west corner of the church. His widow, also a linen weaver,
then lived in the house directly across the street from our
present place of worship until her death.
The church was completed through the
efforts of the congregation and their neighbors and was
dedicated by Reverend Charles Young in December, 1833. Our
congregation worshiped in the little brick church until 1897.
In that year our congregation purchased a lot from the Byron
0. Donnel estates, now owned by Earl and Mary Gene Rice, and
exchanged it with Jacob Smith for our present site and the
present church was built.
The cornerstone, which is always set
in the northeast corner of a building, is a white block to the
right of the steps as you enter the church. It was laid on
August 24, 1897, and contains a Bible, a hymn book, coins and
newspapers. This was done with Masonic ceremonies by Lynch and
Acacia Lodges of Frederick and Thurmont participating.
Over the years, many changes have
taken place. During the summer of 1935, Trinity was closed for
a time to enable extensive interior decorating and repairing
to be done. At this time, church electric organ was presented
as a memorial by the Frailey family in honor of their father
who died on March 26, 1932.
Mr. Frailey was a life long member of the church, a member
of the Official Board, as well as a Trustee for some fifty
years, and for many years was the Superintendent of the Sunday
School. In the mid 1950's, this organ was replaced with the
Many people have helped to make the
history and life of the Methodist Church. Two outstanding
Mr. and Mrs. Francis Scott Key Matthews. Mr. Matthews
owned a store across the street from the church and they sold
home-made ice cream. Like all stores or buildings of that day,
a large stove enjoyed a prominent spot and it was a gathering
place for many.
The Official Board of the church held
their meetings there to save heating the church. Not only was
the business of the church transacted, but friendship,
togetherness and ice cream made the Board meetings enjoyable.
In 1940, under the Program of
Unification of the three branches of Methodism, namely,
Methodist Episcopal, Methodist Episcopal South, and Methodist
Protestant, the Charter of Emmitsburg Methodist Episcopal
Church was duly amended and the word "Episcopal" was deleted
and by prefix the word "Trinity" was added. Hence the
corporate name then became Trinity Methodist Church of
Emmitsburg, Maryland. This Charter Amendment was completed on
February 15, 1941.
In 1968, the Evangelical United
Brethren Church and the Methodist Churches were combined,
assuming the name United Methodist, thus we are now Trinity
United Methodist Church, Emmitsburg, Maryland.
Over the years many changes have taken
place. The bulletin board on the front lawn, was given in 1959
by Rosanna Fuss in memory of her husband, Charles Fuss. The
brass lights were installed in the arch of the window behind
the choir loft in 1961.
Trinity was again closed for several
weeks in 1963. A new heating system was installed. New
electric wiring was done and a flood light and switch
installed. New chandeliers were hung. The floor was sanded and
varnished and red carpet was laid. The sanctuary was painted.
Extensive repairs were made to the bell tower.
In 1965, the baptismal fount was made
by Eugene Hardman and presented on behalf of his family. The
stained glass windows are memorials given by loved ones. The
large one in the Sunday school room facing the street was
given by the Sunday school children who, for years, brought
their nickels and dimes for this memorial. The large side
windows were installed as memorials in 1965, as were the ones
in the rear of the church.
The Reverend Martin Case had "Fill a
Pew" night and Trinity overflowed with Christians. We had
revival services. The sanctuary and front Sunday school room
were filled and several people stood through the service. We
look back with nostalgia upon these years.
In 1972, cabinets were installed in
the kitchen., making it easier for the women when they had
suppers. Our joy overflowed in 1973, when a full time
minister., the Reverend Walter Bowers came to the
Emmitsburg-Tom's Creek Charge.
The alter Bible came to us in 1976
from Carolyn Frailey as a memorial to her husband, Thomas
Frailey, and the green carpet in the front Sunday school room
is in memory of Clarence Frailey.
In 1977, we started to honor the
Golden Age Members, those who have been members of Trinity for
fifty (50) years. Eight names have been inscribed on a plaque
which is presently mounted in the old Sunday school room at
the rear of the church. 7
In 1978, the alter cloths were made
and presented as a memorial to Rosanna Fuss. In 1981, the
picture of Jesus knocking at the door which hangs above the
alter., was given by the Bernard Wivell family in memory of
their son and brother, Michael. The green turf carpet on the
front steps was also given by them.
In 1981 we decided we had to do
something about the high cost of heating the sanctuary., so we
installed an efficiency burner in the furnace. In 1982, the
interior of the church was painted and the windows washed. The
exterior of the church was done in the fall. In 1983, the H
In 1965, the Catoctin Charge of four
churches was informed that it would be separated. The Thurmont
Church and the Catoctin Church would comprise the Thurmont
Charge and Trinity Church and Tom's Creek Church would be
known as the Emmitsburg- Tom's Creek Charge. This meant it
would be necessary to secure a parsonage, furnish it and an
office, too, which seemed an almost insurmountable task.
A special parsonage committee
comprised of Robert Grimes., Ambrose Eckenrode and Jones Baker
from Tom's Creek church and Ralph Lindsey and Charles Brauer
from Trinity was appointed. The Committee looked at several
houses In the town, including the Gauss home, as a possible
parsonage. They also looked at several pieces of land on which
a parsonage could be built.
On February 13, 1966, the committee
and decided to have the District Committee on parsonage and
Location come to Emmitsburg and look over the sites the
committee had chosen. The approval Of District Superintendent
Raymond Roderick was also sought.
On March 13, 1966, a Congregational
meeting was held and the following recommendation was
"After numerous meetings and
considerable discussion, your committee has decided it would
be best to purchase a lot and build a parsonage. The
District Superintendent, together with Parsonage and the
Committee on Location, have approved a lot in
Emmit Gardens. This will be purchased from Mr. and Mrs.
Luther Cregger for $1.,100. It is estimated the total cost
Of the parsonage, including lot, building and furniture will
be $22,000. We will have $6,000 as our share of the Thurmont
parsonage and $1,000 from the District Missionary Fund. The
rest will have to be raised by donations or borrowed from
the bank and then repaid."
Upon a motion by Mildred Elliott and
seconded by Francis S.K. Matthews, the recommendation was
approved by a vote of 28 to 1. It was decided the cost of
parsonage, furnishings, etc., to be divided equally between
the two congregations.
On March 9, the committee met and
engaged Mr. Frederick J. Bower, an attorney, to do the legal
work. The committee was incorporated and empowered to borrow
funds to build the parsonage.
On March 17, !966, Mr. Charles Eyler
was engaged as contractor. It was decided a building 421 X 26,
of brick veneer, full basement containing a study of 121 X 121
and half bath. The first floor will consist of five rooms, a
full bath, guest closet and a fire place. The kitchen will
contain a built-in stove., refrigerator and cabinets. There is
to be a carport and a blacktop driveway. Cost - $18,600.
Ground was broken the last Sunday in March, 1966. The
parsonage was finished in October and King and Selina Duncan
Over the years, repairs have been made
to the parsonage. In June, 1980, it was completely
refurbished. All rooms were painted, new linoleum was laid in
the kitchen and bathroom and wall to wall carpet was put down
in the living room and hall. In 1931 and 1982, the basement
room was made into a sitting room. A dropped ceiling and
recessed lights, heaters and carpet were installed. Board
meetings are now held there in the winter to save fuel at the