This series of stories
traces the Baumgardners of Maryland from Europe
until today. Contributors of information in this
series comes from Dr. Marion Baumgardner of West
Lafayette Indiana, Robert Baumgardner,
John Fuss, John Baumgardner, decedents
Polly Baumgardner Shank, and many
decedents of Johan Jorge Erhardt Baumgardner.
Complete files are maintained by James
Baumgardner of Yorktown Va. The files belong to
the family, and information is fed to James by
the family with the understanding that all
decedents have access to the files by contacting
The name Baumgardner was
first documented about 1400 in Langnau Im
Emmental (Emmin River Valley) Switzerland where
the tallest pine trees in Europe grew. They were
woodsmen and lived on a farm. Some of their
decedents stayed on the farm, and as of 2003,
still live on the farm. Others migrated westward
to the Palentine area of Europe bordering
France. Much migration took place during this
period as there were many wars going on between
the Baptists and Anti-Baptists during the
1400,1500, 1600 period. The Johan Baumgardners
were Lutheran's and our best information is that
they lived in Strausbourg, Germany, which is now
a part of France. In the 1700's, the King of
England was recruiting throughout Europe for
people to settle in the English Colonies of
The Johan Jorg
Ehrhardt Baumgardner Family
Johan and his wife Mary
Eve accepted the challenge and arrived in
Philadelphia Sept. 7, 1748 on the ship
Hampshire. They were listed as from Palantine.
He was naturalized in October 1767. They had
eight children, Margaret, Mary, Catherine,
Marelis, Johan Peter, Jacob, and Henry. Our part
of the family were decedents of Johan Peter.
The Johan Peter
Johan Peter was a
blacksmith in Mt. Joy Township in Adams County
Pa. He served in the American Revolution. He
served in Capt. Bradley's Co. 9th Battalion
Lancaster county militia 4/10/ 1781. He married
Elizabeth Brauner. They had nine children,
Jacob, Catherine, Daniel, John, Peter, Margaret,
Rosanna, Henry, and Mary.
The Peter Baumgardner
Two of these were
instrumental in settling in Maryland. Henry
settled in Taneytown, and Peter in Keysville
Maryland. Peter married Sarah Shoemaker and
settled on a farm along the Monocacy River where
the Keysville road and the Baumgardner road
meet. They had nine children, William, Jacob,
Christian, Mary Catherine, Lavina Susan, Moses
Peter, Andrew, Sarah Ann, and Emily. Sarah died
in 1842. Sometime after that, Peter married Mary
Jane Shaner. They had one child, Margaret Ann.
Peter, Mary Jane, and Margaret Ann later moved
to Frankford Missouri where he died in 1877 and
is buried in Pleasant Hill Cemetery in Hannibal
The Moses Peter
While most of the rest
of this Baumgardner Story follows the line of
Moses Peter, I'm sure that there are many other
stories to tell. Moses Peter married Ann
Stambaugh and they lived on the home place along
the Monocacy River. They had 10 Children, Peter
B, Mary Catherine, John Milton, Sarah Elizabeth,
Thomas Benjamin, Andrew Jackson, Carrie Bell,
Fannie Margaret, Samuel Jessie, and Anna S.
During the civil war,
Moses was drafted into the Northern Army. With
such a large family to support, he sold his
wheat crop for $600 and avoided the draft. He
was drafted a second time, and paid $1,500 in
lieu of serving.
When the Union Army was
en route to the battle of Gettysburg, They
procured food and horses from local farms. They
took Moses's horses to pull supply wagons and
guns to Gettysburg. The day following the end of
fighting at Gettysburg, Moses went to Gettysburg
and found his horses. The Union Officer advised
him to get his horses and get out in a hurry or
he would have to help bury the dead.
The Peter Baumgardner
Peter B. married Annie
K. Naill. They lived on the Francis Scott Key
farm in Keysville Maryland. They had five
children, Roy Elwood, Elsie Maud, Mary Esther,
Norman Robert, and Lillie K. Roy married Sarah
Ann Newcomer. She died and Roy remarried Vallie
Kiser. They had no Children.
- Elsie married Mervin
Conover 3/25/1926. They had a son Charles
Elmer. Mervin did custom farm work. He had
tractors, thrashing machines, and silage
cutters. They lived in Taneytown Md.
- Mary Esther married
Charles W. Devilbiss. They had three children,
Roger W, Paul, and Sylvia Ann.
- Roger married Emma
Garrett. They had one child, Rodney W.
- Paul Married Bettie
D. Perry. They had one child Jerry Allen. As
of July 2003, Paul lives in Keysville Md .
Paul manages the Keysville Maryland Cemetery.
- Norman Robert married
Edna Mehring. They had one child Mildred E.
Norman had a farm store in Taneytown Maryland
along the railroad track in the center of
- Lillie married
William M. Ohler. They had no children.
The Moses Peter
Moses Peter's daughter
Mary Catherine married Edward Meade Fuss.
Details of this family can be found in the
story of the Fuss family provided by John Fuss.
The John Milton
John Milton Baumgardner
married Grace Rebecca Martin, daughter of
George Thomas Marshall Martin.
John and Grace started their family across the
creek from the Moses Peter farm. They had nine
children, Edith, Raymond, George M., Murray M.,
Kenneth W., Addy, Marian, John Lester, and Mary
Ellen. Edith and Raymond were born at the farm
along the Monocacy. About 1900,
they bought a farm along Toms Creek,
where the Keysville Road crosses Toms Creek. The
rest of the children were born at the Toms Creek
The Russell Benjamin
Edith married Russell
Benjamin Ohler. They bought a farm along the
Emmitsburg-Taneytown road about 5 miles east of
Emmitsburg and 3 miles west of Bridgeport. They
had four children, Joseph, Paul, Russell B. Jr.,
and David. Joseph married Bernice Elizabeth.
They moved to Baltimore and lived there until
their death Nov.26, 1998.
were both killed in their home by a thief on the
same day. They had no children.
Paul married Virginia.
They had one son Paul David Jr. They moved to
Washington State. Paul was an electronic
engineer for the IBM corporation. Russell and
Edith sold the farm and built a stone house in
the east end of Emmitsburg. David married Anna
Marie Topper and after Russell died in 1963, he
stayed at home and took care of his mother.
David was an electrician and provided
St. Josephs College. He and Anna
Marie were married after Edith died and lived in
the house his parents had built in Emmitsburg.
Russell B. Jr. married Eleanor Valentine from
Rocky Ridge. They had no children.
The Raymond Earl
Raymond married Ethel
Grace Grimes, daughter of James Ephrim Grimes.
James E. Grimes started to farm west of
Emmitsburg on a farm owned by the Hokes.
Later, he bought a farm along Toms Creek
along a road now called Grimes Road.
Ethel had two brothers, Robert and Edgar. James
was better known in the community as Ephrim. He
was very active in the
Creek Methodist Church. He taught the
men's bible class and was referred to in the
article about the Fuss family. He and John Fuss
taught the class at different times. Raymond
lived with his parents at the Toms Creek farm
until about 1917 when he went to Florida to pick
Upon the start of World
War 1, Raymond joined the Army in Tampa Florida.
He was later sent to Fort Sill Oklahoma where he
made Sergeant in the Quartermaster Corps. He was
a builder (carpenter) in the Army until he left
the Army at the end of WW1.
He met Ethel when he
returned from the Army and they were married
Dec.17, 1920. They bought the upper 74 acres of
John and Graces Toms Creek farm and built the
buildings. The buildings were built from lumber
cut from the Blue Ridge Mountains above
Emmitsburg. The mountain lots from which the
lumber came had been owned by Moses Peter. The
land was surveyed for the buildings on Oct. 25,
1922 by Emory C. Crum, Civil Engineer and
Raymond and Ethel had
three children, Frances Grace, James Milton, and
Betty Mae. They were dairy farmers. They raised
most of the feed for their animals on the farm.
They had milk cows, hogs, chickens, beef cattle,
turkeys, and rabbits. They had three horses by
1927 named Prince, Tops, and Maude. They did not
have a tractor until 1944.
They obtained lime from
a lime kiln in Woodsboro Maryland and hauled it
in a wagon to the farm where they slacked it and
spread it on the fields with a lime spreader
attachment attached to a manure spreader.
Raymond covered the barnyard with concrete. He
hauled sand from Toms Creek below the bridge,
and stone from the Charles Fuss quarry. The
quarry was part of the Fuss farm, and was formed
mostly to build roads in Frederick County when
they were paved. Ethel's Dad, Ephrim Grimes
helped to pave roads when had spare time from
Raymond shipped milk to
Motter's Station. It was hauled by
Mr. James Long who lived near Motter's Station.
When the Creamery at Motter's was closed, Mr.
Long took the Milk to Western Maryland Dairy at
Detour Maryland. Before the Motter's Creamery
was closed, there was a bad winter in 1936 and
it snowed so bad that the roads were impassable.
The Emmitsburg school was closed for a month for
there was no way for the bus to get through.
Raymond's brother John
had the home farm along Toms Creek and also
shipped milk. Raymond and John took turns taking
the milk to Motter's Station Creamery. The
farmers laid down their fences, and they used a
two horse sled and took the milk over the farms
to the creamery. In the spring when the snow
melted, there were terrible floods. Raymond,
Ethel, John and Maude traveled to see the
Potomac River in Flood below Frederick.
Frances started school
in the Toms Creek School House, about 1/2 mile
south of the Toms Creek Church that was built
about 1900. After 2 years, the school was closed
and consolidated in Emmitsburg. John Milton's
children all went to Toms Creek School. Kenneth
was the first one to go to Emmitsburg at the
same time that Frances went. The Emmitsburg
Consolidated School had grades 1-11. James &
Betty both went to Emmitsburg for all 11 grades.
In the early 1940s,
James and Raymond joined the Emmitsburg Minute
Men. They drilled in Emmitsburg on the Firemen's
Field once each week. James Joined the U.S. Navy
in January 1944 in the V5 Aviation Cadet
program. He was sent home to complete his Senior
Year in High School and received his orders to
active duty on high school graduation day. He
reported to Mt. St. Marys College to the navy
unit where he went until November 1945 when he
was transferred to Villanova College to complete
his college work. He graduated from Villanova
and was commissioned a Paymaster in the U. S.
Navy in 1947.
Frances went to
Baltimore and studied nursing at St. Josephs
Hospital and became a registered nurse. Betty
married Sgt. Jerry Hoskins, USMC. Framces met
Mr. Thomas Bosley while she was nursing in
Baltimore. They married and started housekeeping
in Baltimore. James met Betty Jean Baird from
Altoona Pa. They married in 1948 and started
housekeeping in Portsmouth Va. where James was
in the Navy.
In 1960, Raymond and
Ethel sold the farm and built a new home at the
west end of Taneytown where they had bought a
piece of land from Norman Sauble on the corner
of The Emmitsburg and Harney roads. Raymond died
of a heart attack in 1963. Ethel stayed in
Taneytown until 1986 when she sold her home and
moved to Florida with Betty & Jerry Hoskins
where she stayed until she passed on in 1993.
The George M.
George M. Baumgardner
was born November 13, 1901. George was the first
child of John and Grace to graduate from high
school. He went on to college at Mt. St. Marys
College and went on to medical school at the
University of Maryland in Baltimore. He started
his Medical Practice in Baltimore and married
Virginia Clingan. They had two children, Nancy
and John. Virginia died in 1968.
George later married the
nurse that worked in his office, Aurelia Lloyd.
George lived at Golden Ring north of Baltimore
and had his office in his home. John married
Pat. He taught school and they also had a
furniture store for a number of years. They had
three children, Brandy, Amy, and Derek. They
lived in Finksburg Md.
Nancy married and became
ill and died without any children.
The John Lester
John Lester was born
June 4, 1905. John went to Emmitsburg High
School. He married Maude Stambaugh from the
Rocky Ridge area and they farmed the home place
on the Keysville Road just along Toms Creek west
of the intersection of The Keysville and
Motter's Station Roads west of the Toms Creek
Bridge. They had five children, John Elwood,
Robert Lee, Shirley Virginia, Paul David, and
John Elwood joined the
army. Following WWII, he went to college and
following graduation, went to work with the
Upjohn Drug Company. He married Nancy
Brandenberg. They had three children ,John,
Norman, and Nancy.
Robert Lee was born Dec.
1,1930. Upon graduating from High School, he
married Lois Keihlholtz and they started farming
in Pennsylvania. They had five children, Robert,
Daniel, Elizabeth, Mark, and Bryant.
Shirley Virginia was
born Nov. 28, 1935. Shirley graduated from
Emmitsburg High School and married Donald Wantz
an Electrical Contractor. They started
housekeeping in Taneytown Md. They had three
children, David, Mary, and Virginia.
Martha was born Dec. 26,
1941. Upon graduating from High School, Martha
went to a paralegal school. She married Stewart
Sites a communication engineer and they lived in
the Fairfield area. They had two children, James
Paul David was born Oct.
15, 1952. Upon graduating from High School, He
started to farm the home place. John and Maude
built a home in the east end of Taneytown. Paul
married Nancy Fink. They had two children,
Dwight David, and Mark Joseph. They later
divorced and Paul married Susie Wivell.
Addy and Marian were not
married. Marian died in infancy and Addy died in
Mary Ellen was born in
1909. She married Charles Hesson from Taneytown.
They had one son Charles who Married Joan
Hallameyer. They live in Baltimore.
The Murray M.
Murray was born July 27,
1912. Murray went to business school following
high school and became a banker in Taneytown. He
was also a notary public. He married Virginia
Ohler. They had two children , Allen and Dennis.
Allen went to law school and became a lawyer and
for awhile was a judge near Hagerstown Maryland.
Dennis became a radio announcer. Allen married
Mary Alice Dress. They had three children,
Matthew Christian, Mark Andrew and Michael
Alexander. Dennis married a nurse Linda Byers.
The Kenneth Wilson
Kenneth was born June 2,
1916. Kenneth stayed on the farm with John and
Maude for awhile after John and Grace left the
farm and retired to Taneytown. Kenneth finished
high school in Taneytown and went to Western
Maryland College in Westminster Md. He taught
music in several colleges, He earned his Doctors
degree in music and became head of the music
dept. at Brenow College in Gainsville Ga.
Kenneth married Elizabeth Gibson in 1942. They
had three children, Kenille, Vivian Elizabeth
and Darrel. Kenneth Died Nov.15, 2002.
Emma S., Sarah Elizabeth,
and Fannie Margaret Baumgardner
Emma S. Baumgardner
married Mr. Emory Springer. They were divorced
and had no children. Emma moved back home to the
farm along the Monocacy river. Sarah Elizabeth
and Fannie Margaret were never married. The
three sisters stayed at the home place for the
remainder of their lives. Their brothers and
nephews visited them frequently to insure of
their health. They were referred to as the
GIRLS, Maggy, Sally, and Emma. Sarah died in
1952, Fannie died in 1963, and Emma died in
Their nephew John
Stewart Baumgardner farmed the home place and
was the primary care giver for them.
The Andrew Jackson
Baumgardner was born August 2, 1871 and died
April 21, 1935. He married Edna Wantz. They had
no children known to the writer. They lived on a
farm near Taneytown on the Keysville-Taneytown
The Harry Dern Family
Carrie Bell Baumgardner
married Mr. Harry Dern.
They had a farm on the west side of
Toms Creek adjoining the Martin farm. They had
eight children, Anna, Julia, Lloyd, Paul,
George, Ethel, Reatta, and Alvie. Their farm was
on the opposite side of Toms Creek from the
Raymond Roop farm. Anna Dern was born Sept 16,
1905 or 1906, and died in Sept. 1986. Anna
married Robert Grimes, the brother of Ethel
Baumgardner. Robert and Anna bought the Ephrim
Grimes Farm on Grimes road where it crosses Toms
The Samuel Jessie
Baumgardner was born in 1877 and died in 1947.
He married Nettie E. Long. They bought the farm
across the Monocacy River from the Moses Peter
farm on the Keysville Rd. They had three
children, John Stewart, Mark, and Richard. John
Stewart farmed the Moses Peter Farm, and Mark
farmed the Samual Jessie farm.
The Thomas Benjamin
Thomas was born Dec.16,
1869 and died April 3, 1948. Thomas married Mary
Nina Morrison. They had eight children, Helen
Elizabeth, Clarence Moses, Carl William, Mary
Pauline Victoria, Nina Jane, Emma Bruce,
Thomas & Mary lived on a
farm on the Keysville Rd. about 1 mile west of
the Monocacy River, about 2 miles from the Moses
Helen Elizabeth was born
Sept. 11, 1895 and died Sept. 8, 1982. She married
Mr. Harry McNair. They had nine children, Harry
Tom, Alice, Rebecca, Helen, Mary, Patricia, Peninah, Paul D. and Carolyn.
They lived on a farm
about 2 miles north of Emmitsburg on the
Baumgardner was born Feb.2,1894 and died
December 6, 1969.Clarence married Mary
Hollinger. Clarence was known as Tad. He married
and they owned a farm orchard about 1 mile west
of Emmitsburg. He made cider and apple sauce in
the fall of the year.
The Carl William
Carl was born May 6,
1904 and died March 31, 1991. Carl married
Marion Catherine Koontz. They had two children,
Audrey Marion and Wayne Carlton. Carl lived on
the Thomas Baumgardner farm. He later retired to
a home about 1 mile west of Emmitsburg. Audrey
was a school teacher and Wayne was a manager for
the Dept. Of Labor of the U.S. Govt.
The Fleet Howard Gall
Anna Mary Baumgardner
married Fleet Howard Gall . Anna was born Jan.
29,1900 and died Sept.2,1980. They had three
children, Joseph Thomas, David Carl, and Janet
Ann. They had a restaurant in Thurmont Md., and
lived above it for a number of years.
The Weldon Shank
Pauline Victoria married
Pauline was born Dec.5, 1914. Weldon was born
Dec.7, 1913 and died Feb.6,2002. They had nine
children, Weldon Baxter Jr, Nina Virginia,
Wendell Lee, Wilmer Thomas, William Amos,
Wallace Bruce, Naomi Victoria, Nora Vivian, and
They lived on a
farm/mill about 5 miles west of Emmitsburg on
the Waynesboro Rd.
Shanks Mill was one of the oldest
mills in the state of Maryland. The mill was run
by water power from a mill race . The mill would
grind flour as farmers brought in either corn or
wheat. They would also make feed for farm
animals. The Shank property also contained a
hotel where people would stat overnight from
horse drawn carriages. It is a very historic
piece of property. As of August 5,2003, Pauline
still lives on the property.
Nina Jane Baumgardner
married George Baumgardner of Taneytown Md. They
had two children, Edith R. and Thomas D. Nina
was born Dec.13, 1912 and died March 14, 2002.
Georges father operated a bakery in Taneytown .
George delivered bakery products in Westminster
Md. and the Carroll County area.
The Edward Shorb
Emma Bruce Baumgardner
married Edward Shorb. They had two children,
Norma Lee, and Shirley. Emma was born April 29,
1908 and died April 21,1992. They lived in
The Charles William
Baumgardner married Mr. Charles William Knox.
They had four children, Polly Ann, James
Everett, Linda Sue, and Charles Thomas. Dorothy
was born April 25, 1906 and died Feb.2,2000.
Charles knox had a butter and egg business in
Emmitsburg. He picked up butter and eggs in the
Emmitsburg area and delivered them to Baltimore
for Horner's Store that was located on the
square in Emmitsburg.
Read other family histories
know of an individual who helped shape Emmitsburg?
If so, send their story to us at: firstname.lastname@example.org