Then & Now - Photos Of Emmitsburg
North Side of West Main Street
Smith Building, Treavers Drug Store, hangout of the high Scholl crowd, Third building in was a residence
Right building Drug Store, Zimmermans owned it. Building to right was Housers Drug Store. Later it was run
by Carter, who went out of business ~10 years
Window was a barber shop - Gay Topper & Thornton Rogers Barber shop. Toppers lived above it
Dwen Adelsburgers House - Originally owned by Adam Hoffman, A log house, maybe oldest house in town. Jim Adelsburger
son worked at Post office.
Alley between Parsonage and Addlesburger was a restaurant called 'Tokers'. They had a pool
table, kinds were not allowed in. You could get penny candy, news stand.
Torn/fell down in the ~40s
Parsonage was built in 1920. There was a town clock in the tower at one time
Dr. Stones House. Originally William Emmits House ~ 1787
Aaron Adams had a barber shop. Shop closed ~ 10 years
Right hand building was Ohlers, later Theodore Bollinger's Butcher Shop
Left hand building was Newcommers Bakery, prior to that called Hopp Backers
Right hand building was the bowling alley
Maxwell Grain& Feed store, later Troxel's feed store
Was one time owned by the Annan, later the Zimmerman owned it.
Blue building was the residence of the Feilex Family, and was the phone exchange. Window to the right was where the exchange was located
One of the oldest buildings in town. Louis Stoner lived there
Reformed Parsonage. Dr. Higbee lived here
Gillelins House. His butcher shop was across the street.
Right hand side is log encased in brick. May be Shields House
Dr. Cadel's Residence & Office
Mathews Store. Sodas Fountain on right hand side. Later Zurgable brothers was located in the store.
Rowe's Boot & Shoe Store, East Main Street ~ 1886
Log House, Agnew House
Right house in Log House encased in brick.
Right hand house in Enckenrode House
Seabrook House. Famous Women Doctor
Open space was the location of the Frailey Foundry. Was town down ~ 1930
Foundation of the house might be the foundation of the foundry
M. F. Shuff's Furniture Store (1879)
Right had building was Shuffs Funeral house and furniture store.
Left hand building was the Shuff's home
Hay's family home. Shop is on the left.
Left hand side is the Hay's shop,
Luella Annan's House on right.
Frederick Welty's House
Shuff lived here in the ~1930, later belonged to Tom Hoke
J. D. Caldwell Store, West Main Street ~ 1913
At "Y' at Dough Boy, right across street from Green's Bakery
Caldwell's Store. Small wing was a barber shop
Welty's owned it.
Hoffman House, originally an Annan House
Know a story about a particular building
on this page?
Is so, please send it to us at email@example.com