Tolls Bell For 44th Year
This was the 44th year that Mr. James Hospelhorn tolled the bell for the Lutheran Church’s midnight service. The attendance at the midnight service was unusually large this year.
Boozers Drink In New Year
Boozers turned out in force to "drink in" the New Year at the Hotel Slagel’s Bar. Between countless rounds, Boozers exchanged plans for building stills in the Mountains. At the tolling of the Lutheran Church bell, the Boozers spilled out into the Square where they proceeded to make sure everyone in the town knew their opinion
of what they thought of prohibition. The Boozers then broke into their favorite drinking songs and made a general nuisance of themselves until the early morning hours in front of the homes of the women who had browbeaten their spineless husbands into voting to take away their god given and constitutional right to drink.
Dies From Fall On Ice
Concussion of the brain caused by a fall received while skating last Saturday afternoon resulted in the death of William Ziegler, age 14, eldest son of Mr. and Mrs. Ernest Ziegler, of Fairfield. The boy was skating with a number of companions on the quarries outside of town when the accident occurred. He was thrown onto the
ice when one of the skates struck a piece of frozen grass that was embedded in the ice.
Funerals In The Old Days
Mr. William Buschmann has presented the Chronicle Museum with a handmade wooden brace and bit over 100 years old. It belonged to Frederick Rowe who came to Emmitsburg in 1811. Mr. Rowe was a cabinetmaker and undertaker. Mr. Bush recalls that in the old days the coffin was placed on a two-wheeled sulky, the base of which was in
the shape of the coffin. The driver sat on a three-legged stool and the vehicle was drawn by one horse.
Large Shipment Of Cattle
During the year 1916, Patterson Brothers shipped from Emmitsburg and nearby points $218,322 worth of cattle, hogs and sheep. This sum represents the amount paid to farmers and dealers by this firm and it means an average of $4,198 a week or $700 a day. The shipments required 156 cattle cars, 92 from Emmitsburg and 60 from
Discovers Pot Of Gold
Samuel Klein of Harney, uprooted last week an old stump in a field on his farm, and found beneath an earthen jar filled with money. The jar contained gold, silver and greenbacks to the value of $1,344. The money was principally of the date of 1882. It is thought it was put in the earthen pot about 30 years ago and hid beneath
a large chestnut tree that then stood on the farm now owned by Mr. Klein. All the money is in a good state of preservation, the gold and silver being untarnished and the bill showing no ware.
Boozers Celebrate Pot Of Gold
The discovery by Former Former Boozer Samuel Kline last week of a pot of gold finally blew away the melancholy mood that had occupied the superior minds of the members of the Former Former Boozers Association following the victory of the Prohibitionists in the recent election. Boozers turned out in force to celebrate Klein’s
good luck. A Boozer was chosen at random to reach into the pot and withdraw a coin or bill without looking – the number of rounds bought was based upon what was pulled. Upon hearing of her husband’s actions, Mrs. Kline, along with local nefarious members of the prohibitionist and Suffragette movement, stormed into the bar and retrieved the pot.
Thoroughly inebriated Boozers were in no condition to battle the member of the weaker sex, nor did they really care, as at the time every Boozer had almost 9 drinks in front of them to consume.
John Forney, who lives just across the line, was held in $200 bill for the action of the February grand jury, charged with raising a check given to him by John Ohler of near Emmitsburg from $18 to $48.
Rotering – Mathews
At 11:45 Sunday morning, Ms. Euphemia Tyson Matthews, and Mr. Cyril Rotering were quietly married in St. Joseph Catholic Church by the pastor, Rev. Hayden. In the afternoon, Mr. and Mrs. Rotering left for New York, and other cities where they will spend their honeymoon. (Editor’s note: The story of Euphemia Tyson’s love for
her late first husband John Mathews formed the basis of ‘The Contralto’, a novel set in Emmitsburg and in which a number of well known characters about Emmitsburg are interwoven. The names are disguised in part, but not so much that they cannot be recognized by a person familiar with the names in that section. The book is by Roger M. Carew, who spent
the summer of 1910 in Emmitsburg. The book can be read on-line at www.emmitsburg.net)
In the suit for $300 damages of Jesse Smith against M. S. Sheets, the plaintiff was given $37. The case was the outcome of an automobile accident in 1915 in which there was a collision. On the witness stand, Smith testified that after driving his car as far as possible to the side of the road, he was run into by Sheets. Smith
claimed that he was not at fault and that Smith caused the accident. His machine was badly damaged.
I take this means to make public the fact that the stories I myself circulated about Mrs. Vira Ridinger are untrue. Signed Sally Reifsnider.
Accidents Due To Weather
Lefevre Kerrigan met with a very painful accident while sledding one day this week. The sled on which he was riding ran into a telephone pole and badly crushed his right knee. A number of people received hard falls on the icy pavements the first part of the week as the temperature dipped to 16E
on Monday night. Mr. William Myers had the misfortune to break his right arm this week. The accident occurred when he was cutting ice. Ice cutting resumes this week, the creeks being again frozen to a considerable depth.
Watch Your Lights And Tags.
Motor vehicle Commissioner Baughman and his deputies are rigidly enforcing the law applicable to lights and licenses on automobiles. The law requires the white light from the rear in such a manner and of sufficient illumination power to make readable the number on the rear license tag. License tags must be fastened so as not
to swing; they must be kept clean and be entirely un-obscured. The fine is five dollars for disregarding each of these requirements. Both tags must at all times be carried on the auto, one in the front and the other in the rear. The registration certificate and operator’s license must also be carried in the car. Failure to have them constitutes
violation of the law.
John Reindollar, prominent citizen of Fairfield, died at his home Sunday afternoon after a lingering illness caused by the complications of diseases. He was aged 68 years. Mr. Reindollar had been in failing health for the last three years and had been confined to his bed about six weeks. He was born in Taneytown, but spent
much of his life in Fairfield, where he conducted a general store. He moved to Fairfield 32 years ago. Mr. Reindollar was active in the affairs of the Lutheran Church, was a member of the Old Fellow’s Order and belongs to the Board of Directors of the First National Bank of Fairfield.
All persons are warned against trespassing on my property, "Valley View Farm", a reward of $10 will be paid for evidence that will lead to the conviction of trespassers. Signed Mrs. Ledlie Gloninger.
House For Sale
3 acres of land on Green Street extended, improved by seven room house, all conveniences, mountain border, all necessary outbuildings, including a shop formerly used for the manufacture of cigars. Fields planted in clover, timothy and alfalfa. Asking $225. Apply to M. Shuff, Emmitsburg.
Thieves using dynamite early Monday morning blew open the safe in the office of the Wyand Baking Company on Waynesboro pike and secured $100. A cash register in the office was also broken open and about $10 was secured.
Annual Report From St. Mary’s
The annual report of St. Mary’s Catholic Church, Fairfield, for the year 1916, was read at both masses in the church Sunday morning by the rector, Father Gies. The report showed total receipts of $2,991 or approximately 100% over any former year in the history of that parish, the total and steer being $1,500. During the
pastorate of Father Gies, the little congregation has been put on a self-sustaining basis. Both the interior and exterior of the church and rectory have undergone extensive improvements of a permanent character, and the parish premises generally put in first class repair.
The "Hotel Martin" for birds only, will be formally opened here on March 15 by uncle John, scale works, owner and manager. There are 36 front suits, all overlooking wide balconies. Reservations are now being booked. No chickens need apply.
Read Prior '100 Years Ago this Month'
Have a newspaper clipping on a event that took place in Emmitsburg?
If so, send it to us at email@example.com